Sunday, May 13, 2012

Service Learning


1. (1) LIA Response to blog:
    Literal
•       Log of specific hours with a total and a description of your duties
54 hours at Cal Poly Pomona Chess Club. 
Contact: Sandra Luna (keeps track of log-in sheet's)
Phone: (909) 524-5477(personal cell)
Email: sandraluna1202@gmail.com
Interpretive
What is the most important thing you gained from this experience? Why?
There are countless things I learned from my time with the club. First of all, I got most of the ideas for my answers were derived from various interviews that I conducted with the experienced members of the club.  I was able to reconfirm most of the content I learned from my research with the helpful members of the club. The club also provided me with possible activities for my 2-hour presentation (ex. using a display board to have a chess puzzle for the class to solve). And finally, the club provided me with the experience that led me to my product of the year, which is I am now able to manage a chess club at a college-level.

Applied
How did what you did help you answer your EQ?  Please explain.
My hours at the chess club helped me answer my EQ(What is the best way to win a game of chess) by providing me  a place to conduct most of my interviews. These interviews often led me in the right direction when it came to finding value in my research. The members of the club were very helpful in making sure I had proper answers for my EQ and that I was spending my time effectively finding research from proper sources. They would often give useful advice whenever I asked them their opinion on my possible answers, and would always be willing to answer my questions or participate in my interviews. Overall, the answers for my essential question would be of far less quality today if I had not been lucky enough to participate in this chess club.



No comments:

Post a Comment