Thursday, April 26, 2012

Independent Component 2


Literal: 
a. I, Diego Cortez, affirm that I completed my independent component which represents 30 hours of work.

b. For my independent component 2, I have logged in a total of 38 hours on Chess.com after playing an overall number of 152 games against ranked opponents.( Average of 15 mins/per game) I have also completed a small-scale experiment to try to prove whether solving chess puzzles will increase overall online rank. I also completed a lab write-up for said experiment. 


Interpretive
Defend your work and explain how the significant parts of your component and how it demonstrates 30 hours of work.

The reason I did so many hours of independent games was because I wanted to build up a lot of personal experience to be able to test out my different potential answers. I believe this already is proficient work because I have more than 38 amount of hours playing games and developing skill, which is clearly evident in the 13 % increase in my overall online rank since the beginning of the year. However, I took it a step farther, and preformed and wrote a report on a "mini- experiment" to try to prove a potential answer, "Solving chess puzzles will increase skill." Despite the fact that this is probably no longer one of my top 3 answers, I still feel I learned a lot about how different forms of practice can help a player improve. 

Applied
How did it help you answer your EQ?  Be specific and use examples.

My EQ is "What is the best way to win a game of chess?" It would be impossible to answer this question with relevant  answers if I had no experience with the game. Again, I want personal experience with the content that I want to teach during my 2 hour presentation. If I am asked about how I am an "expert" in my topic, I wanted to be able to show them the work that I have done with independent studies. Playing over a total of 326 online ranked games throughout my senior year is something that I am proud of and I believe is evidence of a lot of personal experience and commitment to the topic.  

Chess Puzzle Experiment lab report (Google Doc):

Hours Log Calendar (google calendar):


Evidence of 30 hours of work: 
For the evidence, I will simply provide my account's(diegocortez28) public game archive on chess.com. It keeps track of every single game I have played on the site.






No comments:

Post a Comment